So this year in review post is late, even for me. But because these posts are fun for me to write (they're like a throwback to the Facebook quizzes everyone used to fill out!) and fun for me to go back and read, here it is.
1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
Listened to—and enjoyed—audiobooks. A juice cleanse. Planned a wedding. Got married! Drank a shower beer. Wore a fanny pack—unironically. Had a Chinese wedding ceremony. Changed my name. Had shingles :( Paid off my student loan! Enjoyed cooking. Bought matching dishes! Hosted Thanksgiving. Went on a honeymoon. Rode in an ambulance as a patient—in Bali, no less :( Visited a monkey forrest. Celebrated New Year's Eve in an airport. Had a bachelorette party! Tried on wedding dresses. Sent a family Christmas card.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make any for this year?
Well, T and I made "Happy Plan 2015" and... we still lay in bed checking our phones, we didn't do one new thing a month (at least, not that we've been intentional about), I'm not exercising regularly, I don't drink nearly enough water, and I tutor once a week.
But! I think we speak more intentionally and kinder to each other, I think my patience has improved, I did pay off my student loan, I did have a regular exercise habit going until winter/heart problems, and we got married!
I didn't make a resolution for 2016 per se, but I told T I'd like to be more intentional with everything.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, unless you count Goldfish. Which seems silly because he was a fish, but...
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada. Indonesia. Hong Kong. (Okay, Hong Kong isn't a country; it's a special administrative region of China, but for that reason and because it feels so different than the mainland, I'm gonna count it!)
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Peace. For myself, my family, the world.
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
July 24th because we got married!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Paying off my student loan. Getting married and having my immediate family at the wedding.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Same as the last 2 years: Getting caught up in the little things. Gossip, small arguments turned into small fights, overthinking everything.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A chest infection, shingles, acute myocarditis. Womp womp.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I had a list written out and then I remembered my DivaCup. It's probably one of my most life-changing purchases. Honourable mentions: Coconut oil and my Tangle Teezer.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Student loan. Wedding. Travel. Savings. How fortunate am I?
13. What did you get really excited about?
Seeing monkeys in Bali! Eating turkey for Thanksgiving! Lilacs, always. And have I mentioned I got married?
14. What song will always remind you of 2015?
"I Choose You" by Sara Bareilles.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier. Not sure, so probably the same? Richer.
16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Enjoying the moment.
17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
18. How did you spend Christmas?
In general, in Bali. On the exact day, in a hospital in Bali.
19. What was your favourite TV program?
Recurring faves: Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Parenthood, Downton Abbey. Old faves made new by watching with T: Gilmore Girls, Friday Night Lights, Friends. And new, old faves: Criminal Minds.
20. What were your favourite books of the year?
Thanks to Goodreads, I know I read 41 books in 2015 and my favourites were All the Light We Cannot See and At the Water's Edge.
21. What were your favourite films of the year?
The only one I remember watching and loving was The Martian, but I know there were more. I need a site like Goodreads but for movies.
22. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Went to Hai Di Lao for hot pot, ate chip dip and forced Melissa and Tony to watch The Babadook with me. I turned 26.
23. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not getting sick so often. Family not being buttheads. I just realized that's two things. Oh well.
24. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
The Year of the Fanny Pack!
25. What kept you sane?
Tony, Melissa, and a select few people on the internet, including Kate and Brandy.
26. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
Friends can be family.