Wednesday, January 14, 2015
a look back at 2014.
My personal theme lately seems to be "better late than never" although, really, if I'm keeping with tradition, I'm not that late.
1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
Celebrated Chinese New Year and met my future in-laws (although I didn't know for sure they would be my in-laws at the time). Started listening to podcasts. Joined a book club. Had professional photos taken with a significant other. Made hummus. Fell in love with my slow cooker. Got engaged! Celebrated Canada Day... in China. Took part in Week in the Life. Developed an obsession with Lush. Was almost attacked by a taxi driver. Got my own domain! Climbed a hanging monastery. Took a train. Saw the sunrise and had a picnic at Angkor Wat.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make any for this year?
In last year's recap, I said "I kind of made a couple of resolutions to myself, in my head" and I don't know what they are now, so either I didn't keep them OR I stuck to them so well, that they just became part of my life.
As for this year, Tony and I made "happy plan 2015."
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank God.
5. What countries did you visit?
Cambodia! Canada! (It's still weird to think that I visit Canada.) Within China, I went to Henan, Datong, and Shanghai.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Self-confidence was the first thing that came to mind. I'd also like a healthy dose of a "fuck it!" attitude, as in, fuck what people think.
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
July 29th, because it was the first time I've ever been proposed to ;)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Is it sad that nothing comes to mind here? I was pretty proud of myself for reading 8 novels during my two-week Christmas vacation, though.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I think I'm gonna have to go with the same answer as last year: Getting caught up in the little things. Gossip, small arguments turned into small fights, overthinking everything.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing major, although I did get a respiratory infection a few days after my birthday. And I had to get a cyst removed and it was gross and Tony almost fainted. Haha.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Tony's plane ticket to Canada? A bigger TV? A coffee maker? A mattress pad? You'd think the first option would be the winner, but I'd have to say it's a tie between the last three.
12. Where did most of your money go?
My dang old student loan. But! This will be the last time I have to say that! It'll be paid off relatively soon-ish, knock on wood.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Bringing Tony home to Canada. Seeing The Lumineers. Smaller things like realizing I still had a gulp of coffee left in my cup, going to bed early, and Tony buying laundry detergent and toilet paper when they weren't even on the grocery list. Do I know how to live life or what?
14. What song will always remind you of 2014?
"Rude" by Magic!
15. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
As far as I can tell, these three things haven't changed much from last year. (I did get a substantial raise, but I'm putting more money on my student loan.)
16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
It's the same as last year and the year before that: Read and slept and exercised. You'd think I'd learn something, eh?
17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying, yelling, being impatient.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
On a beach in Cambodia.
19. What was your favourite TV program?
As always, I loved Girls, The Newsroom, Parenthood, Orange Is the New Black, and Downton Abbey. I got to rewatch The West Wing with Tony (his first time watching) and loved it as much, if not more, the second time around. 2014 was also the year that we finally watched House of Cards and I am waiting (only a little bit) patiently for the new season to be released. Honourable mention to How to Get Away With Murder.
20. What were your favourite books of the year?
According to my Goodreads account, I read 35 books in 2014 and gave 11 of them 4-star ratings: The Invention of Wings, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Unbroken, Fangirl, The Giver, All Fall Down, Eleanor & Park, The Book of Negroes, Me Before You, The Goldfinch, and The Kite Runner.
21. What were your favourite films of the year?
If I don't remember any of the movies I watched, I probably don't have any favourites, right?
22. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I hung out in my PJs, drank a latte, bought my own domain, ate dumplings, played Cards Against Humanity, and cried. Womp, womp. I turned 25.
23. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Patience, I'm sure.
24. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
I didn't have one, unless you count me yelling, "I have nothing to wear!" and "I hate all my clothes!" as a personal fashion concept. And also, if I'm being (probably too) honest, I went commando as often as possible because comfort trumps all.
25. What kept you sane?
Can we give a slow-clap to Tony? I'm marrying up, for sure.
26. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
Nothing is as bad as it seems. Or maybe, "This, too, shall pass."